Updates to Useful Methods
Effective March 1, 2011, the set of TAPPI Useful Methods will only contain those methods which have been reviewed and issued in accordance with the new Useful Method guidelines as established in October 2010 by the Quality and Standards Management Committee. The Useful Methods are part of the CD-ROM issued annually by TAPPI that also contains the Standards and the Technical Information Papers (TIPs).
The purpose of this web page is to provide information on TAPPI Useful Methods. The last revision to the TAPPI Useful Methods was completed in 2015, see below for information on available UMs.
Whether you have purchased the set on CD or purchased the set on a print-on-demand basis, this page will provide you with information on available UMs so that you may purchase individual copies if you wish. Please bookmark this page and return to it periodically to see if updates have occurred.
What is the BEST way to keep current on TAPPI Standards, Technical Information Papers, and Useful Methods?
The best way to always have the most current set of TAPPI Standards, Technical Information Papers, and Useful Methods is by accessing them online via either the Company License or the Individual License. Details are on the pages for the Individual License and the Company License.
March 16, 2015:
March 19, 2015:
- UM 573 - Water vapor permeability of sheet materials at -18°C (0°F)
- UM 590 - Creasing (using steel rules) of paperboard for water vapor transmission (WVTR) testing
March 23, 2015:
- UM 566 - Wetting shipping sack paper for testing
March 30, 2015:
- UM 240 - Shive content of mechanical pulp (laboratory flat screen)
- UM 242 - Shive content of mechanical pulp (Somerville fractionator)
April 1, 2015:
- UM 3 - Determination of useful fiber in bagasse
- UM 23 - Bulk density of wood chips
- UM 203 - Freeness of pulp (Williams tester)
- UM 205 - Dirt in pulp (measured by transmitted light)
- UM 221 - Laboratory processing of pulp (plate refiner)
- UM 253 - Laboratory processing of pulp (ball or pebble-mill method)
- UM 258 - Laboratory processing of pulp (Kollergang method)
- UM 411 - Opacity of paper using 45°/0° geometry reflectometer
May 6, 2015:
- UM542 - Amount of coating on mineral-coated paper
- UM 554 - Polystyrene in paper products
- UM 658 Color strength and shade of dye
June 17, 2015:
- UM 823 - Testing adhesives used in glued lap joints of corrugated fiberboard containers
July 1, 2015: